Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Fresh Grown Memories

I recently returned from visiting my parents who live in rural South Carolina.  I always love returning to the sounds of the crickets, chirping frogs, lightening bugs, and of course my family.  By far, one of the best moments was watching my 10 year old daughter help my Dad tend his vegetable garden.  For as long as I can remember (and then some), my Dad has grown a way-too-big summer garden in that warm, red dirt that is so characteristic of the Piedmont region.  Many meals have been cooked from the bounty of that square field.  Although, listening to my Dad, you would think he only does it to feed the local deer, squirrels, and raccoons.

So much of my childhood summertime was spent either shucking, shelling, or snapping whatever had just been picked.  But the taste of that first tomato or ear of sweet corn bursting in my mouth made it all worthwhile.  I’m so thankful my little girl got to experience just enough to make her want to go back for more.

If you enjoy gardening, check out some of the programs being offered by the Galveston County Master Gardeners.  There are several great classes on the schedule for late August and September including Flower Arranging, Kitchen Gardening, and Composting.  For more information, visit http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston or email galvcountymgs@gmail.com

Cindy Dudley is a licensed agent with Brockway Realty, LLC, a residential brokerage operating in the League City, Friendswood and Houston areas with over 20 agents (and counting). Cindy lives in the Lakes of South Shore Harbour along with her husband Chris and their two children. Contact Cindy by text or phone at 281-900-1189 or email at cdudley@brockwayrealty.com

Originally Posted on Brockway Realty LLC's Official Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment